[linux-audio-user] Attracting more Linux audio developers

Ivica Ico Bukvic ico at vt.edu
Sun Dec 10 11:39:50 EST 2006

> Actually, so far as audio is concerned, if Vista is incapable of low
> latency operations I can see that pulling more developers to Linux and
> Mac.

XP already has a decent latency if you configure it right (which is the same
argument we have for Linux, as even vanilla Linux needs to deal with
rtlimits before you can generate good low-latency performance via jack).
Furthermore, I would not hold my breath expecting Vista's poor audio
performance, as everything I've seen so far suggests much better performance
than XP. However, having maintained OS-agnostic lab, I can tell you XP can
be configured to be a darn good low-latency machine. IMHO other aspects are
what makes XP less desirable than Linux.

Mac does not interest me either as I see it simply as another, commercially
less successful version of XP: mostly closed, proprietary, locked-in,
unreasonably expensive, and marginally posix-compliant which ultimately
makes low-level administration a pain in the rear, needless to mention
Steve's frequent freak-outs which help reaffirm the fact that Apple is a
Microsoft wannabe (a thought which makes me shudder--Can you imagine a world
where Apple has the market of Microsoft? Personal computer would likely
still carry a price tag of a compact car!).

> And, as a substancial market for salable products (VST) already exists, it

> would be my hope that somehow methods could be developed that would make
> VST developers able to develop and sell easily into the Linux market.

VST framework for easy porting of VSTs already exists, but there is hardly
any interest to use it due to our market's fiscal ineptness (think: how many
*dedicated* linux audio users are there and more importantly how many of
them would be willing to pay for a Linux-version of a closed/proprietary VST
plug-in).

> "Linux market has actually shrunk". Linux on the desktop seems to be
> stagnating, sure, but everywhere else seems to remain in growth mode.

True, but "everywhere else" has absolutely no impact on what we need, namely
desktop environment with good solid audio framework coupled with supporting
software. If anything, it may very well detract from our goals as companies
will continue to pour money only into those aspects of Linux which matter to
them (and I can assure you audio is somewhere at the bottom of that barrel).

Best wishes,

Ico