[linux-audio-user] [ANN] yet another linux sound wiki.

Paul Davis paul at linuxaudiosystems.com
Mon Dec 11 10:57:06 EST 2006

On Mon, 2006-12-11 at 15:00 +0100, Florian Schmidt wrote:
> On Monday 11 December 2006 02:51, Robin Gareus wrote:
> > Esben Stien wrote:
> > >
> > > How is the one we already have, not perfect?
> > >
> > > Why register on a wiki, as it'll only give us less contributors?
> >
> > good point. because this is a devel. version and I don't want to
> > completely open it for spammers right away.  registration will be
> > replaced by CAPTCHA in future versions.
>
> Hi,
>
> please keep in mind that CAPTCHA usually singles out i.e. blind users. You
> _must_ have an alternative CAPTHA mechanism besides pictures (I.e. simple
> mathematical questions in the vein of "If you have three oranges and four
> apple, you take away 2 oranges and 1 apple. How much apples have you got
> left?". Or something similar. Ok, maybe easier to process automatically than
> pictures, but with some creative wording and a spelling mistake here and
> there this could still work.
>
> Or maybe there's better CAPTCHA mechanisms that are useful for disabled
> people, too..

best suggestion i've read is odd-one-out:

	Which of the odd one out in the following list:

              red, blue, green, purple, jupiter

zillions of alternatives:

	      car, train, bus, plane, apple
	      a, b, c, d, e, 9
	      tall, short, fat, skinny, kangaroo
	      noun, adjective, verb, rose

and so on.

these can still be solved by the $0.02/hr CAPTCHA farmers, but they do
work for blind users and they are not ugly to look at. they also require
a small amount of intelligence, which is no bad thing :)

--p