[linux-audio-user] jack things please

Brian Dunn job17and9 at sbcglobal.net
Mon Dec 11 13:12:12 EST 2006

Marc-Olivier Barre wrote:
> On 12/9/06, we are <gateswideopen at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> > #!/bin/bash
>> >
>> > if [ -e /proc/asound/$HDSP ]; then
>> >         qjackctl --preset=$HDSP
>> > else
>> >         quackctl --preset=$ICH
>> >
>> > fi
>>
>> Yep,
>> thats exactly what i need. problem solved!
>>
>> thanks.
>>
>> tom.
>>

> To make it clear for users who have other types of cards, a generic syntax
> could be :
>
> #!/bin/bash
>
> if [ -e /proc/asound/$MY_REMOVABLE_CARD ]; then
>        qjackctl --preset=$MY_REMOVABLE_CARD
> else
>        quackctl --preset=$MY_DEFAULT_INTERNAL_CARD
> fi
>
> This is just what I needed to run jackd as a start up daemon...
> Marc-Olivier Barre,
> Markinoko.

Cool, I'm glad that worked out for you.  Just as a note, checking for a
file in proc will probably only work if your system loads the modules
for you automatically when you plug in your removable card.  If you have
compiled the alsa module for your external card into your kernel, or if
the module must be loaded by hand, a different approach may be necessary.
(something like greping the output of lspci to check if your card is there.)
/brian