[linux-audio-user] Thesis: Playing and making music

Rob lau at kudla.org
Mon Dec 11 22:39:18 EST 2006

On Monday 11 December 2006 21:01, Chris McCormick wrote:
> heard the same thing from people watching football. I beleive
> that there is artistry in good football playing just as much
> as there is artistry in good piano playing and good first
> person shooter playing and good break making.

You can *find* art in any human endeavor, right up to and
including war and murder.  In some endeavors, though, the
primary measure of the result is objective (the score in a
football game, the number of kills in a shooter) and in others
it's all subjective (like the visual and musical arts.)  People
may make art on the way to their objective goals, in competitive
sports and gaming and feeding their families and love and
murder, but the art isn't the point.

No doubt sooner or later, to prove me wrong, there'll be a
performance artist whose art consists of sitting on a sofa
playing Doom 6 or whatever.  (For maximum irony, he should
actually sit there playing "E.T." on the Atari 2600.)  I'll
leave the debate over whether it's actually art to the art
critics who are around at that time, because I honestly won't
care.

Rob