[linux-audio-user] Re: Squeak (was Software suitable for children)

David Baron d_baron at 012.net.il
Tue Dec 12 09:37:02 EST 2006

> David Baron wrote:
>> Just installed it. A very creative but frustrating package. As with
>> too many of these things, one must be able to read and that in
>> English (or a few European languages?). Fine print abounds in what at
>> first looks like a very sparse UI.
>>
>> The program abounds with objects and widgets. Some very creative and
>> versatile, others frustratingly crude. Graphic objects like squares
>> cannot be resized (nothing stops one from reprogramming them and then
>> dutifully uploading the scalable versions for others to
>> enjoy--smalltalk was once the rage.)
>>  * * *
> > (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Viewpoints_Research_Institute), take a
> > look at the Viewpoint Research Board of Advisors:
> >
> > http://www.viewpointsresearch.org/about.html
> >
> > John Perry Barlow, Vint Cerf, Richard Dawkins, Doug Engelbart, Marvin
> > Minsky, Nicholas Negroponte, Seymour Papert and so on.
> >
> > Doesn't any of these names ring a bell? Anyway, at VR, they're using
> > and continuing the development of squeak.
> >
> > Did you know that you're making ridicule of a big chunk of the history
> > of informatics?
> >
> > Ciao,
> >
> > c.
>
> Sorry. I've been harsh in my reply, with no true reasons to do so.
>
> I should have just said that maybe you've to give it another try. Or
> investigate a bit more on the project.
>
> Sorry again.

Accepted. No intent to ridicule anything or anyone.

The beginning of this thread was Sottware sutiable for children and Squeak and
Etoys recommended. Squeak is a programming environment which will run Etoys
(which I did not find to install on it). It is fun, cute, allbeit out of
date. Leave out kids that do not read fluently English--everything on linux
is multilingual/unicode nowadays. For kids, a more symbolic interface could
be used. I would like to see Etoys. I haven't touched smalltalk in the 26
years but may try some squeakie stuff sometime.