[linux-audio-user] Thesis: Playing and making music

Cesare Marilungo cesare at poeticstudios.com
Tue Dec 12 15:07:04 EST 2006

Atte André Jensen wrote:
> Chris McCormick wrote:
>
>> "Which is more musical, a truck passing by a factory or a truck passing
>> by a music school?" -- John Cage
>
> Which is more musical, 4 minutes and 33 seconds silence or 4 minutes
> and 33 seconds of any sound what-so-ever?

4' 33" was intended as a performance piece, so the noise made by the
audience emerged as music, probably in a way that automatically follows
certain rules. So it is much more a generative technique than a provocation.

That's why a performance of Cage 4' 33" is more musical (and for me it
is art, too) than 4' 33" of any sound whatsoever.

c.

--
http://www.cesaremarilungo.com