[linux-audio-user] Re: Attracting more Linux audio developers

Hannu Savolainen hannu at opensound.com
Tue Dec 12 15:16:04 EST 2006

Mathias Friman wrote:
> Hannu Savolainen wrote:
>
>> About the original subject: IMHO the only way to attract more Linux
>> audio developers is paying for the software. Money is the reason why 90%
>> of people do any work. Practically all professional audio software
>> developers do they work for Win/Mac because the _paying_ customers use
>> them. Linux audio software is being developed by amateurs because there
>> is no market for professional developers.
>>

> I don't think that the professional developers that code for Linux on their spare time agrees
> with you on that subject. :) Or all the people employed by Novell, RedHat, Ubuntu etc.

If some professional software developers develop audio applications on
their spare time that doesn't make them professional audio software
developers.

> Money is not the sole motivator, and it does not guarantee quality. There is no lack of good
> programs for linux audio production, what it lacks is documentation and an overall picture.

Money is not a motivator. It just makes it possible to do full time work
on given task. If somebody works 9to5 on some daytime job then how much
time and energy he can allocate to writing some software on his spare time?

Best regards,

Hannu