[linux-audio-user] Attracting more Linux audio developers

glauber alex dias prado glauberalex at uol.com.br
Tue Dec 12 01:07:48 EST 2006

Em Seg, 2006-12-11 às 22:09 -0500, Rob escreveu:
> On Monday 11 December 2006 21:42, Esben Stien wrote:
> > That's a big point in having a wiki where you don't have to
> > register. You actually have no, absolutely zero, maintenance,
> > because the users removes the spam.
> >
> > You install a wiki, then leave it be.
>
> That's great with a wiki that has a wildly active userbase, like
> Wikipedia.  On any other wiki, what the spammers count on for
> their business model is that people are not looking at the
> recent changes page 20 times a day to delete Chinese search
> engine bait.  On a public site with a moderate pagerank and a
> few hundred users making updates a few dozen times a day, like
> the one I ran for Gambas documentation (it's still there, and
> still called a wiki, but it's really a CMS with more structure
> than a wiki) once they found it, it was totally out of hand.
>
> Even with registration, if you're running any common kind of wiki
> software, like Mediawiki or TWiki, there are thousands of bots
> out there that will auto-register and post spam.  You need a
> CAPTCHA or email verification besides the registration.
>
> And even if your site is as active as Wikipedia, that means the
> site is big enough that it's going to need constant maintenance
> anyway for non-content-related reasons.
>
> The truth is that wikis, like gardens, need to be tended
> constantly or they get vermin and weeds.  In no way is it a "set
> it and forget it" situation.
>
> Rob
of course you have to add content, but the purpose of a wiki is to not
need a registration, at least this is the way i see a wiki, you dont
care for spammers, if it is getting really abused you will have to find
a way to block off course, or even let it be, but i see wikis and wikis,
and having to registrate to edit it is pointless imo.