[linux-audio-user] Re: Squeak (was Software suitable for children)

Brad Fuller brad at sonaural.com
Wed Dec 13 18:11:21 EST 2006

Rob wrote:
> On Wednesday 13 December 2006 17:11, Brad Fuller wrote:
>>> Bring up a squeak text widget and try to type in Hebrew. I
>>> go nothing in. Hebrew support is more than Unicode--Hebrew
>>> and Arabic are right-to-left languages. German, French, etc,
>>> do not require unicode to work. The Japanese will argue the
>>> point.
>> Passing this along from the squeakland.org mailing list:
>> I have developped V-toys a visual programming language built
>> with E-TOYS and compatible with them.
>> V-toys is using tiles with icones instead of text.
>
> Woohoo, now my pet orangutan* can use Squeak!
>
> But probably still not useful for his Hebrew-speaking daughter,
> or anyone else who needs Unicode.

Just to be clear, and I'll lay this to rest, Unicode is supported in
Squeak. What is not available today is a Hebrew translation of Squeak.
Again, I'm not an expert in multilingual or unicode standards/usage.

I passed this along simply because the author uses visual icons and not
text in his version of etoys. It might be helpful for his daughter.

--
brad fuller
  http://www.Sonaural.com/