[linux-audio-user] New member wants to build a reliable DAW

rob rob at curates-egg.org
Mon Dec 18 03:41:31 EST 2006

mark at ehle.homelinux.org wrote:
> I have a Delta 1010 on the way, and would like recommendations on
> parts (motherboard / CPU / memory / drives / distro) that would make a
> machine that I would not have to wish later on that I had bought
> something else. My main use for the system would be recording my Brass
> Quintet and my piano/keyboard musings (the hobby part) and possibly
> live recoding work (the sideline part). Seems to me that there would
> be some money to be made by recording events and providing Cd's for
> sale immediately after, as well as MP3's online.
Hi Mark

I recently built a machine for similar purposes.  Although unfinished (I
still have not transferred my Delta1010 from my current box), I can find
no issues that would indicate that it will not work (it is working with
an old Ensoniq card reliably at 8ms round-trip - which seems to be the
best the card can manage).

I chose Intel this time around - primarily as a result of their having
released either open-source drivers or the information required for the
community to help themselves.  So, I sourced an Intel D945GNTL ATX
motherboard (ICH7 chipset, integrated sound/video, SATA II), coupled
with a Pentium D945 (dual core 3.4GHz), and (initially) 1Gb DDR667 MHz RAM.

HTH
Rob