[linux-audio-user] Real-time kernel

Lee Revell rlrevell at joe-job.com
Mon Dec 18 20:43:06 EST 2006

On Mon, 2006-12-18 at 20:27 -0500, Chuckk Hubbard wrote:
> On 12/15/06, Johannes Mario Ringheim <jri at broadpark.no> wrote:
> > Ivica Ico Bukvic wrote:
> > > All this, however, is a byproduct of the fact that Linux is meant to run on
> > > everything from a washing machine to a supercomputer. Audio being a very
> > > specialized area begs for total integration of OS with specific hardware. In
> > > other words, we could definitely benefit from a vendor which specializes in
> > > professional low-latency hw/sw combo sales if we are to expect the level of
> > > polish expected from a modern OS.
> >
> > Remember that Windows also requires considerable tinkering and tweaking
> > to become a feasible audio workstation. Several people I know of have
> > more troubles with their Windows DAWs then I have with my CCRMA
> > installations. In fact I was pretty amazed with CCRMA, I set up two
> > different audio boxes in less than an hour each, complete with RT
> > patches and latest version of ardour and many other apps.
>
> I find this incredibly hard to believe.  Windows works for me with no
> snags, for the most part, and I've spent countless hours wrestling
> with several Linux distros trying to get even halfway acceptable
> latency, to no avail.  Recompiling kernels, applying patches,
> re-prioritizing processes, etc.  Windows has been phenomenally easier
> in that department, in my experience.  I hope to solve this Linux
> business once and for all over break so that I can meet some deadlines
> using it next semester and finally start telling everyone how
> wonderful it is and how foolish they were for laughing at me throwing
> away endless hours on it.

What sound hardware?  Are you using a cheap laptop with the onboard
sound device or something?

Windows outperforms Linux on marginal hardware.  This will probably
always be the case because such hardware is not designed to be correct,
it's designed to work with Windows.

On good hardware Linux should win.

Lee