[linux-audio-user] [OT] Getting Nvidia drivers to work with CCRMA

Mark Knecht markknecht at gmail.com
Mon Dec 18 22:18:34 EST 2006

On 12/18/06, Tim Howard <tdhoward at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 12/18/06, Mark Knecht <markknecht at gmail.com> wrote:
> > Tim,
> >    I would suggest not using NVidia drivers with an ATI Radeon graphics adapter.
> >
> > - Mark
>
> LOL, oops...  I meant ATI.  <blush>
>
> -TimH

I thought so, but hey - you never know! ;-)

Now, why do you need the ATI driver vs. just using the Xorg radeon
driver in the kernel? What are you doing that requires either 3D
accelleration, which may or may not not work with that version of the
9200 anyway, or composite/SVideo outputs. Those are the only reasons I
know to use the ATI driver. I have two 9200-based machines I use as
MythTV front-ends so on those two machines I use ati-drivers. On my
AMD64 desktop that I do music on (well, supposedly it's music...) I
use the radeon driver:

mark at lightning ~ $ lsmod | grep radeon
radeon                109600  2
drm                    73448  3 radeon
mark at lightning ~ $

If you can stick with the driver in the kernel then you will find
updating kernels in the future to be far easier. Often a new kernel
comes out and the ATI driver doesn't show up right away so you have to
wait, etc.

- Mark