[linux-audio-user] [OT] Getting Nvidia drivers to work with CCRMA

Lee Revell rlrevell at joe-job.com
Mon Dec 18 22:57:25 EST 2006

On Mon, 2006-12-18 at 19:20 -0800, Mark Knecht wrote:
> > Now that I look at the contents of the FC5 distro, I see that there
> is
> > a "xorg-x11-drv-ati-6.5.7.3-4.i3..>" RPM, which I'm guessing would
> > contain the DRI module that I need?
> >
> > -TimH
> >

> No, I think DRI is part of the kernel. I compile it as a module and
> then load it as 'drm'. See my other post for the two Xorg-X11 drivers
> in use on AMD64 with multiple sound cards.

You need both for DRI to work - a kernel module and a userspace X11
driver.  On my system the kernel module is "via":

via                    41568  1
drm                    62356  2 via
via_agp                 9088  1
agpgart                29744  2 drm,via_agp

And the X driver is "via_drv.so":

/usr/lib/xorg/modules/drivers/via_drv.so

If the X server is properly configured, the kernel modules will
automatically be loaded when X starts.  Check Xorg logs.

Lee