[linux-audio-user] Real-time kernel

linuxmedia4 at netscape.net linuxmedia4 at netscape.net
Tue Dec 19 03:07:14 EST 2006

badmuthahubbard at gmail.com wrote:
 > On 12/15/06, Johannes Mario Ringheim <jri at broadpark.no> wrote:
 >> Ivica Ico Bukvic wrote:
 >> > All this, however, is a byproduct of the fact that Linux is meant
to run on
 >> > everything from a washing machine to a supercomputer. Audio being
a very
 >> > specialized area begs for total integration of OS with specific
hardware. In
 >> > other words, we could definitely benefit from a vendor which
specializes in
 >> > professional low-latency hw/sw combo sales if we are to expect the
level of
 >> > polish expected from a modern OS.

 >> Remember that Windows also requires considerable tinkering and tweaking
 >> to become a feasible audio workstation. Several people I know of have
 >> more troubles with their Windows DAWs then I have with my CCRMA
 >> installations. In fact I was pretty amazed with CCRMA, I set up two
 >> different audio boxes in less than an hour each, complete with RT
 >> patches and latest version of ardour and many other apps.

 > I find this incredibly hard to believe.  Windows works for me with no
 > snags, for the most part, and I've spent countless hours wrestling
 > with several Linux distros trying to get even halfway acceptable
 > latency, to no avail.  Recompiling kernels, applying patches,
 > re-prioritizing processes, etc.  Windows has been phenomenally easier
 > in that department, in my experience.  I hope to solve this Linux
 > business once and for all over break so that I can meet some deadlines
 > using it next semester and finally start telling everyone how
 > wonderful it is and how foolish they were for laughing at me throwing
 > away endless hours on it.

I know someone mentioned their good experiences with Planet CCRMA. I
also have had good experiences with it (running Fedora Core 3 and now
5). All the compiling and whatnot has already been done for you. The
CCRMA/FC5 version is even easier to install then CCRMA/FC3 and even
reorders your IRQs to favor the soundcard (that was the big one for me
because I just couldn't do it with the laptop and it would have been
tedious anyways).

Rocco