[linux-audio-user] SMPTE timecode reader

Paul Davis paul at linuxaudiosystems.com
Tue Dec 19 09:36:33 EST 2006

On Mon, 2006-12-18 at 22:13 -0500, plutek wrote:

> during shooting. we were going to feed the studio64-xtc LTC to both the
> cameras and ardour, but had trouble locking cameras to that code -- i
> actually think this may have been a problem with the feed from my end,
> but we didn't have time to debug it. we ended up feeding
> camera-generated LTC into ardour in realtime while shooting.

what do you think ardour is going to do with timecode during recording?
i just want to make sure that you're not thinking you could slave to it.
you should never record while slaved to a non-sample-accurate clock
source, and LTC is absolutely not sample accurate. slaving to timecode
is useful during playback, not during recording. this is true of not
just ardour, but everything else. if you want video/audio sync during
recording, you need to use blackburst or some equivalent to provide a
single clock source to the video and audio gear. this is actually
preferable during playback too, but most people don't have the equipment
for this. as was noted earlier, with digital audio, there are
alternatives to using timecode anyway.