[linux-audio-user] Re: Attracting more Linux audio developers

Rob lau at kudla.org
Sat Dec 23 15:48:48 EST 2006

On Saturday 23 December 2006 15:20, Carlo Capocasa wrote:
> > The problem is not your vision.  The problem is that unlike
> > free software or city building, your vision makes demands on
> > everyone, whether they share your vision or not.
>
> Unlike, of course, capitalism, that places demands on
> absolutely nobody, especially not young people who are
> dreaming of a life of fulfillment and adventure.

Those are demands of the existing system, and they do exist.
However, your vision involves its own system with its own as-yet
vaguely defined demands, plus the demands involved in throwing
out 5,000 years of barter and commerce, plus the demands
involved in dismantling governments, plus, I gather from your
last post, the demands involved in curing everyone on the planet
of various purported ailments of the subconscious.

And then, a century from now, after it's all implemented and
we're all "free", I give it about 25 seconds before some guy
somewhere tells some girl that he'll fix her leaky roof if only
she'll spread her legs for him, instantly bringing barter -- and
from there, capitalism -- back into the world.  Maybe you could
breed the orgasm out of us to prevent that from happening, as
long as you've brought up Orwell.

Anyway, it seems a bit much just to get free music.  I think
Stallman's vision -- that bits are free and no one pretends
they're the same as atoms -- is a little more workable.

> > OOooh, Free Willy!
> Can be found at your local gay bar.

Neither as free nor as much as I'd like, but that was actually a
Simpsons reference.

Rob