[linux-audio-user] move LAU to a forum?

david gnome at hawaii.rr.com
Sun Dec 24 16:50:35 EST 2006

Jon H wrote:

> On 12/24/06, *Nick Scheer* <nscheer at gmail.com
> <mailto:nscheer at gmail.com>> wrote:
>

>     Either way is fine with me. The problem with forums, is that if it is
>     on a slow server, or if it is badly organized from a user interface
>     perspective, it can be a nightmare to use.
>
>     Plus, you often end up with a lot of bickering about how it should
>     look/feel/behave. Also, *someone* ends up stuck with spending a lot of
>     time maintaining it, and I imagine it is much more costly from a
>     hosting perspective. PHPBB also tends to get borked by script-kiddies
>     out to prove their l33t-ness by vandalizing any site they can.
>
>     Mailing lists are nice, as you have a lot of flexibility as to how to
>     read/organize/archive-I personally like Gmail's ability to auto-label,
>     as well as organizing by discussion thread, and allowing really good
>     searchability, whereas a forum dictates the entire user experience for
>     you.
>
> I second the Gmail recommendation!  Auto-threading has made handling
> busy lists so much easier that I am now in the process of moving all my
> mail lists over to a gmail account.  THIS is the way webmail should be!
> PS If anyone wants a free gmail account I think I still have most of my
> original 100 invites left

I have a GMail account. The interface is slow and clumsy compared to
Thunderbird, Pegasus or other real mail clients. Thunderbird does
threading very well.

I also know a number of people who will not have anything to do with
GMail because the justifiable (perhaps) privacy concerns.

--
David
gnome at hawaii.rr.com
authenticity, honesty, community