[linux-audio-user] move LAU to a forum?

Marc-Olivier Barre mobarre at gmail.com
Mon Dec 25 15:17:04 EST 2006

On 12/24/06, Leonard Ritter <contact at leonard-ritter.com> wrote:
> i remember that there was discussion because the current maintainer
> wanted to pass on the LAU and LAD lists.

Yes, they passed on the list _to a new maintainter_. If this list (as
well as LAD and LAA) where to be unmaintained... well... you'd notice
it ;-)

> i just had a refreshing conversation with one of the newer generation
> internet users and he had trouble understanding what a mailing list is.
>
> and indeed, why not move to a forum? are there arguments against it?

Most of the arguments against have already been given. Though, I have
read with a lot of interest this thread and noted a few ideas that are
interesting. The forum+mailing list combo, in my opinion already
exists : http://music.columbia.edu/pipermail/linux-audio-user/

You will tell me that messages can be read, but that you can't post
right ? well... You _can_ post. Even if you are not a member, if you
post to the list, your message will be moderated (by me or another
moderator) and will appear on the list, and on the archives.

Some of you will say that the archives are not user friendly enough...
right. Then join me on the list maintainment, and let's work on a nice
archive interface. Ico proposed to have a forum.linuxaudio.org ? ok,
then let's host the archives there with a brand new interface and a
theme with linuxaudio's colors.