[linux-audio-user] MOre realtime!

Tracey Hytry shakti at bayarea.net
Tue Dec 26 06:14:28 EST 2006

Ken Restivo <ken at restivo.org> wrote:

> > You don't need the realtime-lsm module any more. That has been superceded by
> > rtlimits.
>
> I'm sorry, but this makes me crazy.
>
> "Superceded" as of which kernel revision, exactly?

Well not really "superceded".

I think this is how it happened(anyone correct me if I'm wrong):

The realtime-lsm was more of a hack then anything,  not really condoned by the mainline kernel folks because it was too much of a security risk.  It was created to help us linux audio people be able to get decent latency from our machines, and dates back to the 2.4 series kernels.

The rtlimits is part of a revised pam(pluggable authentication modules?).  It seems to sit better with most people because it gives very selected abilities to a targeted group.  If I can remember correctly, I think it came out somewhere around 2.6.12 or slightly after?  As an aside;  the udev system came out around the same time.  I find both of those systems to be so much easier to config.

Some distros still use the realtime-lsm even with the newer kernels mostly because they haven't gotten around to upgrading pam to support rtlimits.  Some of the machines here use realtime-lsm, and others use rtlimits.  I'd prefer to use the later, but oh well....

Tracey.