[linux-audio-user] The fall of Plextor, was Re: "DVD-A"paranoia?

Rob lau at kudla.org
Wed Feb 1 14:26:25 EST 2006

On Wed February 1 2006 14:17, Alberto Botti wrote:
> They include PlexTools Professional
> (http://www.plextools.com/info/info.asp) with every retail
> drive, and they sell an enhanced version called Plextools
> Professional XL. All of their software requires Microsoft
> Windows.

From the forum thread someone linked to earlier, judging by the
wording of the letter received by the developer, it might
actually be the name they were really objecting to: "pxtools"
seems like it'd be different enough to me, but then, Lindows had
to change their name based on "-dows", so maybe just taking out
the "le" from PlexTools wasn't enough.

Regardless, it was a lousy thing to do.

> > This is one of the worst things I've seen a vendor try to
> > pull.  I'm never buying another Plextor.
>
> Me too. And it doesn't help that my PX-716A likes to make
> coasters out of almost half the perfectly good CDs I put in
> it...

Plextors were the best until 2 or 3 years ago, and then something
happened.  Now the name means nothing.... just another brand of
drives, maybe made by Plextor, maybe rebadged.

I try to buy LiteOn drives nowadays, especially for DVD
burners... they may be the closest thing to "generic" that you
can get (I discovered them by buying some rebadged drive by
Yamaha or Memorex and finding it was a LiteOn), but I've never
made a single coaster with one.  Granted I've never tried to do
with LiteOn drives the kinds of things pxtools is supposed to
let you do with Plextor drives.

Rob