[linux-audio-user] The fall of Plextor, was Re: "DVD-A"paranoia?

Lee Revell rlrevell at joe-job.com
Wed Feb 1 14:49:12 EST 2006

On Wed, 2006-02-01 at 14:26 -0500, Rob wrote:
> From the forum thread someone linked to earlier, judging by the
> wording of the letter received by the developer, it might
> actually be the name they were really objecting to: "pxtools"
> seems like it'd be different enough to me, but then, Lindows had
> to change their name based on "-dows", so maybe just taking out
> the "le" from PlexTools wasn't enough.

True but if they've really moved to a challenge-response scheme for
sending SCSI commands it's clear that the intent is to make any attempt
at a third party Pxtools replacement illegal under the DMCA.

Really I could care less about Plextor, good companies destroy their
customer base by cheaping out all the time (see also Creative Labs).
What's scary is that this could be the future of hardware, where you
can't RE a driver without violating the DMCA.

Lee