[linux-audio-user] Some various questions about system configuration..

tim hall tech at glastonburymusic.org.uk
Thu Feb 2 09:46:55 EST 2006

On Wednesday 01 February 2006 16:55, Dana Olson was like:
> Also, DeMuDi is in a bit of trouble with that sponsor pulling out, so
> it doesn't seem very stable. And Free is trying to get everything into
> Debian anyhow, which means it will all filter into Ubuntu down the
> line.

I'd really appreciate it if people could refrain from making dumb statements
like the above. I think it is untrue to say the DeMuDi is 'in trouble'.
Continuing without funding makes life somewhat trickier, but it just puts
DeMuDi back on to entirely volunteer effort, like most of Linux.

> In short, I do just prefer Ubuntu, but Debian and DeMuDi do not feel
> as cohesive and polished as Ubuntu does.

My mileage may vary.

> Besides that, when I tried DeMuDi, a lot of apps didn't even launch
> from the menus, and the mixer for my soundcard seemed a little screwy.
> By focusing on Ubuntu, I can learn a lot more about how things work,
> while helping out other Ubuntu users at the same time. It almost makes
> me feel like I'm contributing to the community in some small way.

Yeah, thanks for all the bug reports [!]. Even vague comments like this could
have been useful if presented in the right way. In this context I think
you're being unfair. My experience of Ubuntu is pretty much like your
experience of DeMuDi. i.e. I tried Hoary Hedgehog and found it annoying, so I
haven't really bothered persevering with it. It's not worth mentioning is it?
I'd rather get on with supporting other people who wish to make music using
Free Software, whatever their preferred set-up.
--
cheers,

tim hall
http://glastonburymusic.org.uk/tim