[linux-audio-user] Some various questions about system configuration..

cdr ix at replic.net
Thu Feb 2 12:57:52 EST 2006

On Thu Feb 02, 2006 at 12:48:11PM -0500, Lee Revell wrote:
> On Thu, 2006-02-02 at 10:23 -0500, Dana Olson wrote:
> > I am hoping Dapper shatters my expectations, considering
> > they're pitting it against Vista and want it to be very extra
> > polished. I guess time will tell.
>
> If they want to pit it against Vista they'd better get off their butts
> and get streaming video in Firefox working.  75% of the time I just get
> that damn "Plugin Finder" and then when I click it of course "No
> suitable plugin could be found".
>
> Desktop Linux is a joke if stuff like this still won't work...

are you just being a "troll" ? all i had to do was type: emerge mplayer-plugin win32codecs (which even works on amd64 if you have a multilib config which you have to go out of your way not to) and everything even the worst of proprietary wmv codecs play just fine in webpages...

my biggest gripe with linux is at a much lower level than the desktop (where KDE and Gnome are already as good as or better than OSX/Windows): horrible driver support from ATI (VGA port gives totally distorted output, fglrx rarely compiles right and when it does is just full screen flashes of color), and impossibility of getting low latency audio working (ingo's patches crashing on boot, or randomly freezing later on) and generally brokenness relating to timer issues on turion/x2 chips which causes further problems with JACK and various io devices..