[linux-audio-user] Some various questions about system configuration..

Dana Olson dana at ubuntustudio.com
Thu Feb 2 13:18:18 EST 2006

On 2/2/06, Lee Revell <rlrevell at joe-job.com> wrote:
> On Thu, 2006-02-02 at 12:51 -0500, Brett McCoy wrote:

> > > If they want to pit it against Vista they'd better get off their butts
> > > and get streaming video in Firefox working.  75% of the time I just get
> > > that damn "Plugin Finder" and then when I click it of course "No
> > > suitable plugin could be found".
> > >
> > > Desktop Linux is a joke if stuff like this still won't work...
> >
> > mplayer-mozilla plugin seems to work for most things (even Quicktime).
> >

> Hmm, I used to have that, but somehow it got uninstalled.
>
> Still, this is not good - what the heck is the point of the "Plugin
> Finder" in firefox then, if it isn't even aware of the package manager?
> To install random binary codecs Windows style?  I've seen it hundreds of
> times and never once had it do anything useful.
>
> Lee

I am in the same boat as you, but this is a Firefox issue, not an
Ubuntu/Gentoo/whatever issue. If you think about it though, it would
be hard for Firefox to support all the various package managers, and
further, all the various distros out there for plugin support.

As Rob said, I'm sure they don't want to get sued, so they don't put
the w32codecs into Ubuntu. It's unfortunate that this is the state of
technology. We can only hope for a better day, where everyone uses
open technologies, and then this point will be moot.

Although I agree that it is a shortcoming, there is more to desktop
Linux than a browser and plugins. But anyway, this is all offtopic. :)