[linux-audio-user] Noise gate (or something else?)

Mikhail Ramendik mr at ramendik.ru
Sun Feb 5 16:25:53 EST 2006

В сообщении от 5 февраля 2006 23:49 Sampo Savolainen написал(a):

> > I desperately need a noise gate, or something else to remove breathing
> > sounds. Could anyone help me find one?
>
> There is a ladspa plugin called: "Gate" by Steve Harris. It's available
> in the swh-plugins package. But ..

OK, that would be fine. Is there a HOWTO on installing LADSPA plugins for use
with Audacity available somewhere?

> > I am recording using Audacity 1.2.3 from a rather simple microphone, and
> > breathing sounds are clearly heard when the speaker inhales air; from the
> > look of the graph, it seems that a simple noise gate would remove them.
> > But I could not find a noise gate in Audacity 1.2.3...
>
> ... setting up a gate in audacity is painstaking as you can't do it in
> realtime.

No problem. In fact I prefer the Audacity way of doing it. We're doing a voice
recording, not a concert, so having many tries is good.

> If you really want to use audacity, you can also do this with jack-rack

Definitely don't want to go there. Jack setup is a major hassle; with no
realtime need, I don't see why it would be worth the time.

> When gating the signal though, i suggest that after finding the right
> parameters for the gate to work correctly, try making the gate a "soft"
> gate via the "Range" parameter. Breathing noise might be irritating at a
> level, but vocals without breathing might sound unnatural.

Agreed. Audacity giver many tries so it's easy.

--
Yours, Mikhail Ramendik