[linux-audio-user] It's music time again

Mark Knecht markknecht at gmail.com
Thu Feb 9 08:11:54 EST 2006

On 2/9/06, james at dis-dot-dat.net <james at dis-dot-dat.net> wrote:

> One day, I'll spend some money and get a soundcard that costs more
> than 20 quid and speakers that were meant for more than Doom.  Then
> maybe I'll stick with a track long enough to produce something
> polished.

You know, it probably isn't as necessary as you think. All studio
monitors do (IMO) is give you a good listening environment when you're
mixing. However, they are not 'required' to get a good mix. If you
know the qualities of what ever speakers you are working on, and they
ALL have limitations, then you adjust your mix accordingly. When you
have something you think might stand up on a better system, burn a CD
and go listen to it elsewhere. Take it to the big system in the living
room. Most certainly listen to it in the car. To a friend's house. A
boom box by the pool. A/B your mix against some other CD that has some
of the qualities that you are looking for. When you decide that
something needs fixing on the other systems, go back and listen to
your CD on the Doom'ed speakers and see why you missed it. Fix it,
burn a new CD, rinse and repeat if necessary.

I mix on $1200 speakers and it doesn't change that process at all.
It's what I do every time.

2.5 cents for free,
Mark