[linux-audio-user] More music

R Parker rtp405 at yahoo.com
Mon Feb 13 15:15:54 EST 2006

--- Steve D <groups at xscd.com> wrote:

> On Mon, Feb 13, 2006 at 11:32:42AM -0800, R Parker
> wrote:
> > Punchins aren't illegal and anyone can engineer
> for
> > you in a non-destructive DAW like Ardour. If you
> don't
> > tell anyone about the punchin then you can move on
> > composing and producing another song which makes
> > everybody happy. :)
> >
> > ron
> --- ---
>
> I guess my (irrational) fear is that a
> punchin/punchout will somehow be
> obvious to the listener--that either there will be
> an abrupt momentary
> change in ambience, an abrupt cutting off of
> pre-punchin sound as the
> punchin occurs, or I'll be in a slightly different
> mood and the volume
> or performance won't match, etc.

There's not irrational fear in this. We definitely
hear "bad" punches. It's something you get good at;
play along with yourself, perform the puch-in and
punch-out then stop playing. Afterwards trim the
region in and outs so the punch can't be heard. And
start working on the new song. :)

 I have been able (I
> think) to hear
> punchins in old analog tape recordings, of Van
> Cliburn playing the
> Tchaikovsky and Rachmaninov piano concertos, of an
> obscure (but good)
> eastern European orchestra playing Stravinsky's
> Firebird (there were
> *lots* of punchins, some of them very obvious and
> awkward, in that
> recording), and so my listening experience has made
> me wary of punchins.
> But, like I mentioned, I'm sure it is an irrational
> fear. ;-)
>
> During this recording (for Arabesque 1), I made a
> strong note to myself
> after recording take after take (dozens of them) to
> learn about and
> begin to try punchin techniques. I'm especially
> interested to learn
> whether Ardour automatically creates (or can be
> configured to do so)
> brief overlapping fadeouts/fadeins at punch points.
> I'm sure that this
> information is in the (as yet not fully read) Ardour
> online manual. ;-)
> In fact, I think I'll check that out right now--

Autopunch works. I manually punch everything so how it
works remains a mystery to me but playing along,
punching before and after shouldn't be a challange.

ron