[linux-audio-user] Punchin/Punchout (was: More music)

Steve D groups at xscd.com
Mon Feb 13 16:18:32 EST 2006

Steve D mentioned an "irrational" fear of the punchin/punchout recording
technique. Ron Parker and Cesare Marilungo commented--

Cesare Marilungo wrote:
> There's another, way better, method. Just route your keyboard output
> to a midi sequencer (muse or rosegarden) and then to the sampler.  In
> this way you can do punch-ins in midi, delete notes seamlessly merge
> two or more performances and more.

Thank you very much, Ron and Cesare. I'll try both approaches and
hopefully I'll learn how to exploit both the digital-audio and MIDI
punchin/punchout recording techniques.

Regarding the digital audio (rather than MIDI) approach, I'll try to
space the punchin and punchout points a little farther apart than I
normally would, to give me a greater choice *after* re-recording the
section as to exactly where I want the actual punch to occur. (I hadn't
thought of that, obvious though it may now seem. ;-)

Thank you,

-sd