[linux-audio-user] 2.6.15.4, realtime-lsm, jackd -R, system performance down!

Ismael Valladolid Torres ivalladt at punkass.com
Mon Feb 13 16:28:44 EST 2006

Lee Revell escribe:
> On Mon, 2006-02-13 at 13:08 +0100, Ismael Valladolid Torres wrote:
> > fons adriaensen escribe:
> > >
> > > Good question. This really looks like an 'out of memory' problem.
> >
> > Just 160MB but then why does it swap only when jackd is running
> > realtime?
>
> Because jackd only locks all its memory in realtime mode.

Clearly this is my problem. If I tell jackd not to lock memory at all,
then applications open succesfully even if in realtime mode
but... xruns are back!

I think I'll try to get more memory. This G3 uses PC100 SDRAM, more
difficult to find right now even in eBay and at prices like DDR2 new.

> Try adding this line to /etc/security/limits.conf:
>
> *               stack   hard    512
>
> then reboot.  This will save you 7.5MB of unswappable memory per thread.

I'll give this a try and tell you all.

Cordially, Ismael
--
Dropping science like when Galileo dropped his orange

     http://lamediahostia.blogspot.com/
     http://www.flickr.com/photos/ivalladt/