[linux-audio-user] 2.6.15.4, realtime-lsm, jackd -R,

Ross Vandegrift ross at lug.udel.edu
Wed Feb 15 00:49:37 EST 2006

On Tue, Feb 14, 2006 at 03:42:00PM -0600, Jan Depner wrote:
> > Does a process inherit its parent's RT rlimits?  I would expect them
> > to work that way.  If so, it should be enough to run your display or
> > window manager under set_rlimits.  Then, any app you started in that X
> > session would automatically inherit the ability to request RT
> > scheduling and mlock pages.
>
>     I may be missing something here but, why would you run your window
> manager as the same user that you use to run RT applications?  I
> normally log in as Joe_User and then start my applications as a
> privileged user (in my case root  because I'm lazy ;-)  In most window
> managers/desktops it is pretty easy to start an app as a different user
> with a desktop icon.  The only PITA is that you have to enter a password
> to start the apps but you only do that once so it's not a big problem.

Dana's security objection is one worth remembering, but I must say it
seems a moot point when the alternative is letting regular users run
things at realtime priorities... ::-)

I think Jan will agree that if the other user isn't root, then using
two users is pointless.  After all, you just have to configure
everything discussed for some other user.  root is free.

My reasons:

1) File ownerships.  I do everything as "ross", "ross" owns
everything.  I don't need to worry about how any files were created.
I own them all.  Of course I could change them.  This would annoy me.

2) Environment configuration.  My user "ross" has years and years of
customized environment built up in ~.  I don't want to have to either
replicate it to root, or remember what environment I have when,
depending on what apps I'm using when.  This would also annoy me
greatly.

3) Stupidity protection.  Ever "rm -r ." without checking pwd?  Oh
yea, I have.  I'm not saying I'd intentionally name an ardour session
something like "/lib/libc.so.6".  But hey, I might!  Better to protect
myself from doing horrible things like this.

If I were going to do audio as root, I'd just log my Xsession in as
root - cause I'd be even lazier than Jan ::-)

--
Ross Vandegrift
ross at lug.udel.edu

man in the bonds of Hell."