[linux-audio-user] CCRMA and yum

thewade pdman at aproximation.org
Wed Feb 15 14:55:51 EST 2006

Quoting Fernando Lopez-Lezcano <nando at ccrma.Stanford.EDU>:

> On Tue, 2006-02-14 at 19:39 -0800, thewade wrote:
>> I am encountering some problems though. Probably descrepancies between
>> the livna repository and the ccrma repository. Can you tell me if I am
>> correct?
>>
>> yum -y update
>> [lots of messages here...]
>> Error: Missing Dependency: libavcodec.so.51 is needed by package xine-lib
>> Error: Missing Dependency: faad2 = 0:2.0-0.lvn.5.4 is needed by package
>> xmms-faad2
>>
>> And it ends there. Just to see if it was missing some file I built from
>> source I ran:
>> rpm -qa | grep faad
>> xmms-faad2-2.0-0.lvn.5.4
>> faad2-2.0-0.lvn.5.4
>> rpm -qla | grep libavcodec
>> /usr/lib/libavcodec-CVS.so
>> /usr/lib/libavcodec.so
>> /usr/lib/libavcodec.so.51
>>
> It looks like the version of ffmpeg in livna and the one in Planet CCRMA
> are not compatible. I have:
>  ffmpeg-0.4.9-0.1.20050427
> Packages in Planet CCRMA that seem to be affected would be:
>  ffmpeg2theora, kino, mjpegtools
> (I think)
> Do you have any of those installed?
> I wonder what is triggering the problem in yum...
>
> I don't know much about yum but it must be possible to tell it to ignore
> updates to packages, or to establish priorities between repositories.
> You could do something like that with ffmpeg so that yum does not try to
> upgrade to the Planet CCRMA version.

I do have some of thoes packages installed:
  rpm -q mjpegtools ffmpeg kino ffmpeg2theora
  mjpegtools-1.8.0-0.lvn.1.4
  ffmpeg-0.4.9-0.lvn.0.20.20051228.4
  kino-0.7.6-0.lvn.3.4
  package ffmpeg2theora is not installed

I tried to upgrade just these packages but it comes back to
libavcodec.so.51 for xine-lib
  rpm -q xine-lib
  xine-lib-1.1.1-0.lvn.3.4

What version of xine-lib is in ccrma? Or perhaps your repository has a
newer ffmpeg then livna, and the solution is for livna to update their
xine-lib with the new ffmpeg? The guy that runs livna is pritty nice
and perhaps he would do that, if that is the problem...
I still do not understand where the breakdown is happening though. Your
version of libavcodec (from ffmpeg) is newer then the livna libavcodec,
and so xine-lib should be happy, right?

Please advise.
Thanks!
-thewade