[linux-audio-user] 2.6.15.4, realtime-lsm, jackd -R,

Ross Vandegrift ross at lug.udel.edu
Wed Feb 15 21:47:00 EST 2006

On Wed, Feb 15, 2006 at 03:50:30PM -0500, Paul Davis wrote:
> set_rtlimits, as i understand it, doesn't run its child process with RT
> scheduling, it makes it possible for its child (and grandchildren etc.)
> to successfully ask for RT scheduling.

Ok, now I have to run an experiment.  Someone posted earlier in the
thread that the set_rlimits properites do not inherit to child
processes of the set_rlimits'ed application.

I was very suprised to hear that was the case (very un-Unixy), and
will need to figure out.  The best possible solution I can imagine is
easy as pie then - anyone in group "realtime" (or whatever) can run
their window manager with set_rlimits.  Boom.  Magically, everything
and anything run as an appropriate user gets RT scheduling if it
wants.

Even better - if set_rlimits will still run an app that doesn't have
RT permissions (but maybe throw a warning), you can just run X with
that ability and not have to worry about users having to modify their
X session.

See ssh-add for a real-world example of something like this (though it
uses environment variables, not limits of any kind).
--
Ross Vandegrift
ross at lug.udel.edu

man in the bonds of Hell."