[linux-audio-user] ardour zipper / buffer noise ua 25

Dave Phillips dlphillips at woh.rr.com
Thu Feb 16 07:58:05 EST 2006

Greg wrote:

>I'm trying to record in ardour on demudi 1.2.1.  When I try to record
>I get this zipperish noise.  it sounds to me like some sort of buffer
>noise.  I am using a UA 25, full duplex 24 bit 44.1khz  I played
>around with jack settings a little bit but i'm not sure if that's what
>i'm trying to tweak or something else.

Hi Greg:

  A couple things come to mind. First, there've been some patches
recently added to Ardour 0.99 that deal with noise issues, you might
want to upgrfade to the latest version. Second, make sure that all
non-essential channels are turned down or off in your software mixer. My
CD drive makes a terrible amount of noise in its idle state, so it's
always turned off until I need it.

  Does the zipper noise occur when you move your mouse ?

  Cheap cables can also be a noise source.

Best,

dp