[linux-audio-user] asoundrc and aplay

Clemens Ladisch clemens at ladisch.de
Fri Feb 17 09:20:43 EST 2006

conrad berh?rster wrote:
> Am Donnerstag 16 Februar 2006 15:53 schrieb Clemens Ladisch:
> > "hw" goes directly to the hardware, without automatic sample format
> > conversion.  Your hardware cannot play mono data.
>
> buuuuuttttt: the default of aplay is hw:0,0 .

The default device is not "hw:0,0" but "default" which gets eventually
mapped to "plug:hw:0,0".

> on my first card, the first subdevice is an mono channel.

The subdevice number would be the third number (as in hw:0,0,0).

The first device on your first card has exactly one subdevice which has
exactly two channels.

A card has more than one device if it has several output/inputs that can
be used _independently_ (i.e., if the hardware can play from different
streams).  For example, the analog and SPDIF outputs of Intel compatible
AC'97 controllers are available as hw:0,0 and hw:0,4.

A device has more than one subdevice if the hardware can mix several
streams for the same output.

> > HTH
> what means HTH ;=)

Hope this helps.