[linux-audio-user] [OT] Amp simulators and stuff. was: Guitar amp

Cesare Marilungo cesare at poeticstudios.com
Sat Feb 18 19:34:03 EST 2006

Dana Olson wrote:

>On 2/18/06, Cesare Marilungo <cesare at poeticstudios.com> wrote:
>

>>Dana Olson wrote:

>>>I can't vouch for their amps, but I have a Line6 POD 2.0, and it is by
>>>far the best investment I've made for my guitar sound, period. My main
>>>focus is on recording guitar direct though, and this thing simulates
>>>many different amps, speaker combos, and some basic effects. You could
>>>use it in front of an amp as well, and get a wide variety of tones out
>>>of it.
>>>
>>>I sold my old Yamaha amp so I could afford it last year. I do almost
>>>miss having an amp, but with headphones, this thing rocks.
>>>
>>>Anyhow, I imagine their amps would sound great too, with a variety of
>>>different sounds in them. I'll probably be trying them out when I'm
>>>ready to get a new amp again. But I liked Fender's Princeton Chorus
>>>the best out of all the amps I've tried thus far.
>>>
>>>Dana
>>>

>>Check out the Zoom G2.1u, also.
>>It's cheap (130 euro, should be around 130-150$ in US) and it can be
>>connected directly to a pc via usb. The resolution through usb is
>>16/44.1 but the converters are 24/96.
>>
>>http://www.zoom.co.jp/english/products/g21u/index.php
>>
>>I know it's not the real thing. But if you haven't enough space you
>>wouldn't be able to properly capture a real amp anyway.
>>
>>I'm satisfied enough of its sound that I'm using it in my recordings.
>>
>>I used it on this track:
>>
>>http://www.cesaremarilungo.com/download/music/Hope.ogg
>>
>>c.
>>--
>>www.cesaremarilungo.com
>>

>Wow, what a nice song! I generally don't listen to much other than
>metal and industrial, but this song is very nice. There's something I
>can't describe about it...

Thanks. :-)

There are five albums (now also in ogg) available on the website.

>Anyhow, that Zoom you are using sounds nice. I'm actually surprised,
>because a couple other Zoom things I've tried really sucked.
>Especially the 505II, that thing is noisier than an interstate.
>
>So the Zoom you have, it works as a usb-audio device in Linux? What
>else did you use to record that track, as far as the software and
>other instruments are concerned??
>
>Dana

I switched to gnu/linux for music making just some months ago, and I've
made this track before.

Used tracktion as DAW (mackie was giving away free licenses two years
ago), a Fender Stratocaster through the Zoom, sampled piano played with
an old Roland A-33, Crystal Synth and lots of different esoteric
freeware effects.

I was using an EgoSys waveterminal 2496 at that time (a good card,
unfortunately it is not supported by alsa). This is the reason thet kept
me from using gnu/Linux. I had to wait until I bought another interface
(an Edirol UA-25).

Now, on linux, the Zoom pedal works flawlessly with snd-usb-audio. I've
used a 505II  also, but this is a lot better.

c.
--
www.cesaremarilungo.com