[linux-audio-user] Connecting to external midi device

Adrian Blockley adrian at blockley.id.au
Mon Feb 20 08:03:55 EST 2006

On Mon, 20 Feb 2006 09:56:19 +0100
Clemens Ladisch <clemens at ladisch.de> wrote:

>  Adrian Blockley wrote:

>  > produces no output or error message but the following is printed
>  > using dmesg:
>  >
>  > cmd: 0xff failed at 0x330 (status = 0xff, data = 0xff)
>
>  This means the MIDI port wasn't initialized correctly.
>
>  It seems C-Media changed their latest chip revisions in some
>  incompatible way.

Oh - bummer...

>  > My guess is that the midi i/o port address is wrong. Now i don't
>  > understand a great deal about PCI but my guess is that the midi i/o
>  > port address on the sound card probably isn't 0x330 (please note I've
>  > also tried 300, 310 and 320).
>
>  The driver configures the card to use the port address that was
>  specified by the user.  Well, it tries to.
>

>  > I've tried using the Windows device manager to find out what address
>  > port I should be using but i can only find the address of the sound
>  > card and not the mpu401.
>
>  The card shadows the MIDI port registers in its main PCI address space,
>  but the instructions in C-Media's so-called datasheet don't work.
>
>  I'd recommend to get another card.  Any other card.

Thanks Clemens. I feared as much but hoped this wouldn't be the case.
Seems I have lucked out twice - my motherboard is an Asus A7N8X-X with the
built in midi interface but no external midi connection...

I guess I will have to start saving the pennies for a suitable replacement
sound card with working external midi interface.

I don't suppose anybody can recommend a cheap card?

Cheers

Adrian

--

"There are only 10 kinds of people in the world: Those who
understand binary, and those who don't."

Adrian  Blockley
32 Darwinia Loop
Canningvale WA, 6155

Ph: 08 9256 1953