[linux-audio-user] [OT] Guitar amp

Michael T D Nelson m_nels at gmx.net
Mon Feb 20 11:51:30 EST 2006

Lee Revell wrote:
> On Fri, 2006-02-17 at 20:38 -0800, Sean Edwards wrote:
>>Also, take a look at the Behringer V-Amp Pro.  In
>>addition to a headphone jack, it has line, digital,
>>and balanced outputs to feed into an amp, computer, or
>>directly into a mixer.
>
> What it is a copy of? ;-)

It's clearly a replacement for a Line 6 POD Pro. No doubt about that.

However, it comes in a rather stylish blue colour - better than that
Line 6 red :o)

Behringer have also improved on Line 6's device by cleverly surrounding
each continuous rotary digital control with a ring of LEDs, allowing the
user to see in which directon each knob is pointing as soon as a new
preset is selected.

It's also one of the cheaper options available.

> Seriously, I'm not knocking Behringer, but a friend who's very
> knowledgeable about gear told me all their stuff is basically knockoffs,
> and the end result is sometimes great, sometimes iffy,

This box is actually pretty damn good. I like the sounds, and find the
convenience awesome for the price. I am sure that a good many decent
guitarists could get away with using it as a full-time amp replacement.

It's just a pity it doesn't run Linux! :o)

> Anyway I was looking for something with 1 12" - I think a 2x12 is a
> little big for this place.

My solution is a bit different. I run my Behringer V-Amp Pro straight
into a pair of Alesis M1 Actives. It's good for practice, and the
speakers are also handy for lots of other stuff - mixing, general hi-fi
use, etc.

Regards
Michael