[linux-audio-user] Free Software vs. Open Source: Where do *you* stand?

R Parker rtp405 at yahoo.com
Mon Feb 20 15:30:02 EST 2006

> Things obviously change when you're a developer,
> since you can bring the
> open source solution up to, or beyond, the level of
> the proprietary
> solution.  The question, then, is will you get more
> pleasure out of
> doing so than pain?

I am an end user that started using Linux Audio tools
in 2001. The first couple years were brutal. I spent
alot more time bug reporting and interacting with
developers than making music. The tools have become
perfectly usable. I've made some good friends and
learned alot about digital audio and derive a good
deal of satisfaction from my efforts.

However, I am not investing as much of my time into
Linux Audio today as I have in the past. The reason is
because I am musician, engineer and producer and I
love making music. I need to produce music.

  That's where I am right now.  I
> really, really want
> to get an album out --- and I also want it to be
> really, really good.  I
> want to use the best tools for the job, and in my
> evaluation, those are
> proprietary tools.

Anyone that can't produce great product using Ardour
and JAMin can't produce great product. I assume the
tools your not happy with are something else. I don't
do alot of sequencing so I'm a bad judge but
Rosegarden has been up to the task when I've needed
it. I've probably only used it to produce a dozen
songs. I don't do much with soft synths because the
ones I tried were unstable and the one I want to try
involves a bunch of stupid installation library
compatibility bullshit. I don't use samplers for
anything--not yet.

Let us know how things work out with windows. lol j/k

ron