[linux-audio-user] Free Software vs. Open Source: Where do *you* stand?

Paul Winkler pw_lists at slinkp.com
Tue Feb 21 12:16:24 EST 2006

On Mon, Feb 20, 2006 at 02:55:53PM -0500, Pete Bessman wrote:
> WHAT is your NAME?

Slink P.

> WHAT is your QUEST?

To have enough time to play music and hang out with my wife, enough
money to pay off my credit cards (and buy more gear), and health
insurance.

Ideological debates are pretty much de-prioritized for me these days.

But I still run 100% free and 99% libre software :-)
Why? At this point it's a cultural habit. For me to run anything else
there has to be a compelling reason, and frankly I have not seen any.
I was toying with the idea of getting a Mac, because I'm tired
of investing so much time in my computers, but after what's
happened with my wife's ibook lately*, I don't think the alternative
is any better.  Running linux can be time-consuming and maddening at
times, but I hate feeling helpless and ripped off even more.

> WHAT is your FAVORITE ALBUM?

The Who, "Live at Leeds", preferably the 2-CD set.

* US $300 to replace a faulty inverter, and it came back with a broken
wireless antenna.  This conveniently happened just two months after
the overpriced extended warranty plan expired, and just barely cheap
enough to justify not buying a new laptop yet.  And this is apparently
relatively *good* service? No thanks.

Now back to your regularly scheduled soapboxes.

--

Paul Winkler
http://www.slinkp.com