[linux-audio-user] Re: Free Software vs. Open Source: Where do *you* stand?

Jan Depner eviltwin69 at cableone.net
Tue Feb 21 14:54:52 EST 2006

On Tue, 2006-02-21 at 00:15 +0100, fons adriaensen wrote:
> On Mon, Feb 20, 2006 at 05:41:05PM -0500, Rob wrote:
>
> > They have the legal right, thanks to a century of lobbying by
> > people who had too much money to begin with, but the idea that
> > they have the moral right is purely your opinion.  Despite
> > making my living writing and oftentimes selling software, I
> > don't share that opinion.
>
> The moral part results from your accepting the terms of the
> license, which is a contract between you and the creator of
> the software you buy. In this contract you usually agree not
> to harm the commercial interest of the creator by distributing
> his work to people who do not pay him/her for it.
>
> By defaulting on a contract or not keeping your promises by
> your own choice you demonstrate your lack of respect for the
> other party, and as a result you won't get much in return.
> And since the society we live in depends to a large extent
> on contracts being honored and promises being kept rather
> than on the the use of physical force, chances are you will
> be punished for that sort of behavior.
>
> A lot of things - software, literature, music,... have a
> value that is not encapsulated in their physical form.
> It's one of the features of a phenomenon called 'culture',
> or 'civilisation'. Failing to acknowledge this is as stupid
> as postulating that humans can't think or feel - it is
> materialism in its most primitive and ugly form.

    Well said!

--
Jan 'Evil Twin' Depner
The Fuzzy Dice

"As we enjoy great advantages from the invention of others, we should be
glad of an opportunity to serve others by any invention of ours, and
this we should do freely and generously."

Benjamin Franklin, on declining patents offered by the governor of
Pennsylvania for his "Pennsylvania Fireplace", c. 1744