[linux-audio-user] Re: favorite window Manager for making music?

Lee Revell rlrevell at joe-job.com
Tue Feb 21 15:28:18 EST 2006

On Tue, 2006-02-21 at 13:19 -0600, Jan Depner wrote:
> There's a bunch of information on that on my site (albeit outdated).
> Tuning the disk drives is a must and it *will* help but there are
> instances where the disk drive is busy and you can't get to it no
> matter
> how well tuned it is.  I prefer to minimize any chance of that.  You
> have to remember that unless you're running RTLinux or VXWorks (or DOS
> or VMS) you're not running a hard real time system.  Shit happens.

The -rt kernel with fuill preemption actually is a hard real time system
(no one claims it is in the same league of reliability as QNX or
VXWorks, yet...) - it should be able to guarantee response times.

Of course the best RTOS in the world won't save you from apps that do
disk or GUI stuff in a non RT safe way, or from buggy ACPI
implementations that disappear the CPU out from under the OS for
milliseconds...

Lee