[linux-audio-user] Free Software vs. Open Source: Where do *you* stand?

Greg gkjoyce at gmail.com
Tue Feb 21 15:33:44 EST 2006

always fun to read these things.
I would say I'm in the middle on all three.  I would really like to
see more commercial potential for free and open software.  I like the
sense of community F/OS (yes I'm lumping them together, gasp!) stuff.
If developers let the community get their hands in development at all,
you get at least that much freedom back.    This also hinges on
community interest.  Like I don't care about Firefox at all really.  I
run it, but I don't have plugins for it etc.  So I don't feel
liberated by Firefox except in the sense I know that it's an open
system and if I felt like it, I could get extensions for it.  I'm not
totally sold on the notion that this stuff works better, yet.  I think
working towards community goals instead of marketing goals will
definitely yield some great niche software (slick audio tools and
jibber-jabber-free desktop computing), but most people really want to
hitch their wagon to a microsoft etc.
I really like the feel of open source, mainly PD now, ardour looks
cool.  I like that you need to get your hands dirty, even though  I
still haven't gotten my linux audio setup running.

> WHAT is your QUEST?
To create a new society, free from Monty Python references.
> WHAT is your FAVORITE ALBUM?
nice to see few people answered one album.   Ornette Coleman - Skies of America
Thurston Moore, Nels Cline - In Store
just about anything by Sun Ra or Aphex Twin... forget this!!