[linux-audio-user] Re: Free Software vs. Open Source: Where do *you* stand?

fons adriaensen fons.adriaensen at skynet.be
Tue Feb 21 17:14:09 EST 2006

On Tue, Feb 21, 2006 at 04:14:54PM -0500, Rob wrote:
> On Tue February 21 2006 15:08, Peter Bessman wrote:
> > The fact that it's illegal to sell your vote does not prove
> > that contracts can be morally wrong.
>
> Not that the 'shrink-wrap licenses' to which Fons was referring
> are even accepted as contracts in many venues.  I certainly
> never had a contract with, say, Syntrillian in the bad old days
> when I would download a pirated copy of Cool Edit Pro; the text
> of whatever EULA they used was never even included with the
> illicit version.

The license is not a contract, but accepting its terms constitutes
a contract. If you download an illegal copy, you do indeed not
break a contract. The person who made it available did, and since
you are smart enough to know this, you are in the same situation
as anyone knowingly accepting stolen goods. There is no excuse
for that.

> The respect argument is specious as well; I certainly don't
> respect Wal-Mart when I'm buying a new toothbrush or whatever.
> (And since I've paid for it, I'm perfectly within my rights to
> share that toothbrush with anyone, though I'd probably rather
> not.)

Completely irrelevant.

--
FA