[linux-audio-user] Re: Free Software vs. Open Source: Where do *you* stand?

Rob lau at kudla.org
Tue Feb 21 17:10:01 EST 2006

On Tue February 21 2006 16:52, Peter Bessman wrote:
> Rob wrote:
> > At any rate, not breach of contract, which was the whole
> > point of that paragraph.
> Oh, I'm sorry.  Please explain to me how violating a license
> does not constitute breech of contract.

Please explain to me how I'm even party to a contract, assuming
one exists, if I've never seen it.  To this day I've never seen
Syntrillium's EULA for Cool Edit Pro, and now they don't exist
anymore and I go without stuff rather than pirating software.

> Because I'm pretty
> sure almost every EULA in the world (at least the ones I've
> seen), secure you your rights so long as you are not found to
> be "in breech of contract."

Someone may have breached a contract with Syntrillium, if they
were living in a venue where a shrink-wrap license can be
construed to be a contract (since most pirated software back
then originated outside the US, I have no idea).  However, if I
did anything illegal it was to violate their copyright.  If you
invite someone into your vacation rental and he does something
that violates your rental contract, even if he was aware that
one existed, you're the violator of that contract, not him.

I don't see much point in reiterating this again, so I hope
you're able to understand.

Rob