[linux-audio-user] Re: favorite window Manager for making music?

tim hall tech at glastonburymusic.org.uk
Tue Feb 21 17:28:05 EST 2006

On Tuesday 21 February 2006 20:39, Lee Revell was like:
> Gnome does not do this.

Some people just don't like GNOME, deal with it.

Not all decisions that people make in computing are based on the relative
grace or brokenness of the implementation. There are considerations of style,
ergonomics, hardware limitations, personal choice and pure emotive fluff.

Both GNOME and KDE have improved immeasurably since the people who don't like
them tried them last. ;) They both provide great environments. Some people
enjoy the familiarity of a Windows/Mac-like environment. Some people
specifically don't. I like the combination of Openbox + fbpanel + rox that I
use because it gives me the best of GNOME and Fluxbox-like features and
everything is configurable in a way that I find easy to understand. I also
enjoy the challenge of making my personal working environment as
un-Windows/Mac-like as possible and the challenge of turning recycled
hardware into useful multimedia machines. As you say, running KDE or GNOME
doesn't affect the audio, the problem comes when you can't get the GUI to
respond to your clicks on the 'Stop' button because the system is already
doing double time trying to avoid xruns in the audio stream. You already did
a sub 500MHz CPU disclaimer on that one, so fair enough. I've spent a lot of
time working out how to soup up old bangers.

I don't like a lot of the GNOME configuration utilities with their limited
choices and I can't abide nautilus. Fairly major reasons for not using GNOME.
I really, really have _tried_ to like it too. Fluxbox and Openbox have become
popular with musicians for good reason, they stay out of the way, but can
still be easily made to look good if need be. One day I will understand why
people like fvwm too. ;]

I rather enjoy these roundabout discussions on the merits and demerits of this
and that software, it really is great to have such incredible choice. I
usually point most Linux newbies at GNOME, despite my reservations, my son
loves it and that's good enough recommendation for me.

Personally I have just figured out devilspie and xmodmap, so my desktop
experience is now near perfect and my multimedia keys now pop up the
appropriate applications on the same desktop each time, no matter where I
call them from. Neat. Right next I have to figure out LASH and I can start my
entire studio from a single key! It was all a question of putting the right
commands into a couple of text files, now that's what I call user-friendly!
--
cheers,

tim hall
http://glastonburymusic.org.uk/tim