[linux-audio-user] Re: favorite window Manager for making music?

Jan Depner eviltwin69 at cableone.net
Tue Feb 21 20:32:35 EST 2006

On Tue, 2006-02-21 at 15:39 -0500, Lee Revell wrote:
> On Mon, 2006-02-20 at 16:10 -0600, Jan Depner wrote:
> >     Some window managers cause quite a lot of I/O.  KDE and Gnome
> > being
> > the biggest offenders.  Generally any change in the window manager is
> > saved to disk somewhere.  This isn't the case with Fluxbox, fvwm,
> > Blackbox, etc.
> >

> Gnome does not do this.
>
> > > If your WM is so bloated that it causes disk IO then the best advice
> > is
> > > to get a better WM.
> > >

> >     This was the point of the entire thread.  I was pointing out that
> > CPU is not the only bottleneck and that is why I use a light WM
> > instead
> > of KDE when recording.
> >

> I think your problem is KDE specific.  It's by far the most bloated of
> the desktops.

    I don't have a problem because I don't run Gnome or KDE when
recording ;-)

--
Jan 'Evil Twin' Depner
The Fuzzy Dice

"As we enjoy great advantages from the invention of others, we should be
glad of an opportunity to serve others by any invention of ours, and
this we should do freely and generously."

Benjamin Franklin, on declining patents offered by the governor of
Pennsylvania for his "Pennsylvania Fireplace", c. 1744