[linux-audio-user] Re: favorite window Manager for making music?

Lee Revell rlrevell at joe-job.com
Tue Feb 21 22:30:02 EST 2006

On Tue, 2006-02-21 at 19:16 -0800, Mark Knecht wrote:
> Either the kernel is safe and handles this stuff or it isn;t 'safe'
> and cannot stop it. I understand from other conversations that some
> apps are considered to be non-realtime safe. I do not understand how
> anyone could ever know that a WM is truly rt safe. How?

WMs are not RT anything - a correctly written JACK client will interface
with the GUI in a realtime safe way.  If the JACK client tries to do GUI
stuff in the RT thread of course you are screwed.

> Just because one uses Gnome, fluxbox or fvwm and doesn't see xruns is
> not proof that it's truly rt safe. You cannot prove a negative,
> etc....

These programs do not even enter into the picture - GUI stuff runs at
normal priority and audio stuff at RT priority so it's impossible for
the GUI to block the audio.  Unless the app is broken.

Lee