[linux-audio-user] Free Software vs. Open Source: Where do *you* stand?

Nathan thegnu at gmail.com
Wed Feb 22 13:35:08 EST 2006

> But, and this what it's all about, when it comes to my personal reason
> for living --- music --- I'm forced to admit that on technical merits
> alone, I have a hard time arguing for Linux.

I'm a computer technician, and while I think that a)Linux is "Better
Software" and b)Microsoft is a fascist tool, I think that sometimes
people have to go with what FEELS right.  Windows feels SO wrong to
me, but that's not true for other people.  It's not even a matter of
functionality, it's a matter of what works.

Definitely, if it feels like Linux is getting in the way, leave for a
while.  Come back, feel it out again.  I started that way in Linux (I
know you've been doing this a while), and every time I went to Windows
it got more and more painful.

Linux, Ardour, Jack, JAMin, LADSPA, etc, have allowed me to put
together a cheap, quality studio.  I was able to spend the bucks on
equipment that will hold out in the long run (HDSP9652, DigiMAX 96k)
rather than buy a low-end proprietary solution.  If I had a million
dollars, I'd have some REALLY neat stuff, though.  ;-)

> WHAT is your NAME?
Me Nathan Curry

> WHAT is your QUEST?
My quest is to make awesome music, and where possible to forward the
plight of open software.  I'm interested in what is the first
effective anarchist society to my knowledge, and it's GLOBAL, no less.

> WHAT is your FAVORITE ALBUM?
Ack, so many.  Cafe Tacuba - Re

Love