[linux-audio-user] Re: Free Software vs. Open Source: Where do *you* stand?

Jan Depner eviltwin69 at cableone.net
Wed Feb 22 22:14:53 EST 2006

On Tue, 2006-02-21 at 23:42 -0500, Lee Revell wrote:
> On Wed, 2006-02-22 at 05:27 +0100, Cesare Marilungo wrote:
> > In fact sharing mp3 files shouldn't be illegal. It is another example
> > of artificial scarcity.
>
> What does "scarcity" have to do with anything.  No one else has any
> right to my creations - they are mine.  It is up to ME whether I want to
> give it away or charge for it or refuse to show it to anyone.

    Lee, I think you're preaching to those who feel they have a right to
anything merely because they want it.  Creativity, hard work, incentive,
all of these seem to mean very little to those who would rationalize
away any form of ownership which prevents them from having what they
want for no cost.  Were the shoe on the other foot I doubt if they would
be quite so adamant that copyright is evil - that is, if it were their
song or novel that everyone was flogging about the internet without
permission.

--
Jan 'Evil Twin' Depner
The Fuzzy Dice

"As we enjoy great advantages from the invention of others, we should be
glad of an opportunity to serve others by any invention of ours, and
this we should do freely and generously."

Benjamin Franklin, on declining patents offered by the governor of
Pennsylvania for his "Pennsylvania Fireplace", c. 1744