[linux-audio-user] recording guitar - level problems

Ken Schutte kschutte at csail.mit.edu
Wed Feb 22 23:11:15 EST 2006

Hi,

I've setup a new FC4 system with alsa, jack, etc, and a SB Live card.
I'm trying to play some guitar thru the line in (eventually into
sooperlooper, maybe audor, etc).  No matter what I've tried, if I try to
get any significant volume, it's distorted terribly (not to mention some
terrible humming - something else I have to look into yet...)

Are there any simple guidelines for getting a nice clean guitar sound?
Could any one point me in the right direction? or any good references
out there?

There's seems to be a lot of places to set the levels: guitar, amp,
alsamixer (capture, line in), but I feel like I've tried it all.  I'd
like to go thru my amp first, which has a line out and headphone out.
I'm also willing to invest in some new hardware if that's what it takes.

thanks.